Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Manila Zoo: A Constructive Criticism

It's just 7:30pm as I'm writing this but I'm already in pyjamas because it's been such a long, torrid, and tiring day. But despite that, I'd still say it was a great day (yay for optimism!). Earlier this morning, I had to be at the Manila Zoo for my Public Relations class. My dad brought me to the place and I'm quite pleased that we were there in no time. However, I was greeted with disappointment, although to be honest I expected that, after reading the reviews about the place the other night. Without having to go inside the actual zoo, I've already had a few observations about the place. I could go on and on about these observations I have about the zoo but I feel bad for doing so because the bad profusely outweigh the good. Thus, today, I will attempt to give some constructive criticisms for the Manila Zoo.

C44C2B77-09F3-423A-8297-397C68D8DDB9

I'm not an animal expert so I would first give suggestions on how it could improve as an establishment. And of course, after being greeted by this passe signage, I immediately thought that the place could use a design intervention. Not just for the signage -- but for the maps (which were scarce and dilapidated), the information signs, the murals, etc. I do hope some Fine Arts students could do a thesis on the Manila Zoo and help them with at least adding more informative materials so that visitors, children and adult alike, learn more from the animals. This way, the zoo could save up on money and receive fresh, innovative ideas from talented students who need school credit!

[caption id="attachment_97" align="alignnone" width="567"]CC8A38A1-8561-498B-9680-2F4CEFD8ADDF Can you spot Mali? :)[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_95" align="alignnone" width="567"]The Elusive Hippo The Elusive Hippo! I appreciated this hippo. He's very cute.[/caption]

Aside from feeding the animals more, or looking after their health (as it has seriously been my first time to see a wild boar whose bones are sticking out of its body), the zoo could also get more zoo  guides. That, and its staff members could be a little more friendly. I have no doubt that having zoo keepers or janitors who would say "hi" or smile at you would make one's experience in this place much better. Training the staff to be open to take questions and what not from its visitors is probably a great touch for tourists who want to have a great time. Besides, the Philippines is known for its hospitality. In its public recreational spots like this should this hospitality be most visible. I'm sure out of my recommendations, this would turn out to be the most inexpensive changes they can implement.

AEC43051-3CA6-4D56-8648-277ED2322F86

I cannot really say much about the conditions of the animals because I'm not an expert or anything. I'm generally neutral about zoos. However, when its purpose of educating is lost, then I don't think the suffering of these animals are worth it. The lone Thai elephant, Mali, for example has been showing signs of distress as it just walks back and forth its den. It's not healthy. The least the Management could do is to exert every effort to 1) ensure that these animals are treated right, and 2) ensure that visitors LEARN from these animals.

I have tons of other suggestions for Manila Zoo but I'll keep this short and save the rest of my recommendations lest this post will turn to an Operations Management paper. To be frank, I do think that the zoo has a lot of potential despite all the criticisms. It's really a matter of creating a strategy to utilize all their strengths, opportunities and minimize its weaknesses and threats. Thus, for my initial assessment as a tourist, I think the management problems (aside from the very obvious need for money) may boil down to their branding strategy and member recruitment & training. I hope some private institutions or corporations help out our poor Manila Zoo. Unless by some miracle the upcoming Mayor of Manila decides to allocate more budget to this place. But I honestly doubt Lim/Erap would do that. :(

I also couldn't help but realize how frequent my visits to Manila have been recently. Every time I go there, I feel more and more convinced that there's a need to revamp that place. There's just so much pollution and disorder left and right. I cannot believe it's our country's capital. I want to do up Manila one day. Though I still have about to study for six more years (one for undergrad and five for law school and reviews), I promise that I will serve the government and help rehabilitate our capital in the best way I could.

5 comments:

  1. Back in the day..this place was really nice I missed the old Manila..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would think so! My professor said that there were two elephants then too. I guess at that time this zoo was great but due to government's neglect, it never became at par with those in our neighboring countries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The money provided was not maximize for the zoo's benefit. It was not properly manage. Kids back then loved the zoo! now they are more into malls hehe probably that's the reason they have less revenue than before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I suppose apart from the zoo looking sad due to lack of funds, the past time of Filipinos have shifted from museums, zoos, and parks to places like malls. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only constant in this world is change..sometimes it is too fast for other people and businesses. A mixture of the old and new may bring back to life or give funding to the old zoo.Privatization..privatization of the Zoo this may definitely help for more funding. A better agreement or contract that will protect the government's rights

    ReplyDelete